Monday, June 2, 2014

A Step Backwards - and Happy 22nd Anniversary!

A quick update. Blake and I visited HCI Friday morning. While the cellulitis was somewhat better (about 10%) - that's after a week of IV Vancomycin - not really good enough. So the decision was made to remove the expander so that the infection could clear and  I could continue with chemotherapy. We were the last case of the day - didn't go to the OR until about 5:00pm.  But everything went well, I got great care, and we were on our way home by 8:00pm. 

Now the goal is to continue work to clear up the infection - then back to chemo when I'm better and the wound is well on it's way to healing. I laid low over the weekend and stayed home from work today. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Thanks, Blake, for again taking such good care of me and for keeping my spirits up! I know this is a step backwards, but there will be many more steps forward here soon.

Of note, today is a very special day. On this day in 1992, I started my job with the Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine. Wow - I was in my mid-30s then, with three teenagers! The group was very small then (just moved from five to seven attendings, and there was only a part-time staff and ME). We were not even really a division yet. But we have grown and morphed into a fabulous division with more than 25 attendings, seven fellows, and a full office of staff. We are respected within the university and around the country. I have been so incredibly blessed to work at a job that I have dearly loved with people that I think of so highly - and who highly value ME. My work has been challenging, educational, interesting, downright fun - and no two days in 22 years have been the same. I work with the most amazing - and ecclectic - group of physicians and staff who are incredibly dedicated, interesting, brilliant, fun, entertaining, and just really great "humans." They always make me smile. I'm pretty sure no one has enjoyed their job more than I have - even over a 22 year stretch. They have been very helpful and supportive during this recent illness and setbacks. Yes, I am truly blessed! Thanks, everyone!


6 comments:

  1. I can't believe it's been 22 years!! Not many people can say they've had the same job for that many years. And yes, I believe there will be lots more forward steps, and soon!! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, Laurie! So grateful for the update. Heather's right... lots more forward steps to come. Sending a big, giant (and gentle) hug!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of love to you from the Thomas-es! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, if your life were a patchwork quilt, it would be beautiful, colorful, and A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I'm so grateful that our paths have crossed and for the wonderful memories and friendships we share. Kick that infection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized you probably have no idea who skipper1994 is!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was afraid you would have to have the TE removed, but that's usually the only way to cure the infection. Now things will go better. Congratulations on 22 years at the Div of Pediatric Emergency Medicine! You could author a book: For Whom the Trauma Bell Tolls . . . or something like that.

    ReplyDelete