The Final Chemo
I finished chemo #3 on July 3rd and #4 (the caboose) on July 23rd - YAHOO!!! Sounds like I really don't like to celebrate holidays - right? Wrong! It's just how it all lined up. But when I left the HCI Chemo Day Spa on the 23rd - I was so happy! I felt like I had crossed a major milestone - but I also knew that the storm clouds were looming on the horizon because the last "chemo tsunami" would be here soon. Well, it came . . . and then took it's sweet time to leave . . . but I'm feeling like I am now climbing out of the deep, dark hole I fell into. (Each time with chemo, the hole somehow gets deeper and darker.) I'm just grateful that I only 4 rounds were recommended. Others have had to do more and had it worse. I'm just grateful to be DONE!
Now - I'm hoping in a few weeks my hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes will start to grow back. I don't think I'll ever complain again about doing my hair each morning. While I'm grateful for a wig, hats, and makeup - there's nothing like your OWN!
And what about that horrible metallic taste? Hopefully it will go away sometime soon. One benefit - it has definitely turned me off to chocolate! But it HAS turned me on to lime - lime popscicles, key lime pudding and pie, even key lime Oreo's (thanks, Kammy). I made the mistake of going for crab cakes to celebrate finishing Chemo #4 - UGH! Never have crab cakes tasted so AWFUL. And it wasn't the fault of the crab cakes. It will be a while 'til I try them again.
Today I met with the radiation oncologist and her team to make plans for radiation - including body molds and putting down tattoos in order to accurately and consistently line up future beams of radiation. Yup - I now have tattoos! We will start next week, and I am scheduled for five days a week for six weeks. That seems like a long time, but I think it will go fast. And, I'm glad to be located so close. I could literally walk to HCI from my office in 20 minutes. They say the side effects of radiation are easier to bear than chemo - mostly skin burning and some fatigue. I'm hoping so. The way I see it - I should be done by the end of September - HOORAY!
Lately, I feel like this cancer thing is a marathon run. I'm only at mile 19 (yeah, at least I have made it this far) with seven more to go, and another hill looming ahead, no finish line in sight, and I've "hit the wall." How will I keep putting one foot in front of another? How will I ever find the energy and strength to finish? What if I don't make it to the finish line? Then I hear someone call out my number to cheer me on - and I get a fresh burst of energy! The "someone" is all of you - family and friends, cheering from the sidelines - telling me I can do it. Thank you so much! I hope I can be your burst of energy and cheerleader sometime when you need it.
Awww sweet Laurie! So sorry you have to go through all this.you're in my thoughts and prayers. I always miss seeing you sit in front of me on nights you dont feel well. Love you! Holly
ReplyDeleteYour analogy at the end made me teary! (Guess I can relate to "the wall;" mine comes at mile 17.) You can do it!!! (Imagine pom-poms.) GO LAURIE, GO!!! :)
ReplyDeleteThe marathon analogy is spot on. Just remember, there is always a way to break through the wall. Just keep moving. No matter how slowlly, or ugly it gets, keep moving..... <3
ReplyDelete