Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Huntsman Cancer Institute: My Home Away from Home!

This morning was another visit to Huntsman Cancer Institute for recheck with the plastic surgeon. It was a great visit because I got the last drain (my companion for three weeks)  REMOVED. I am no longer tethered. I have to be careful to not move my arm around too much for the next few days (no small task for me) - but I promised that I would be careful! Reconstruction will have to wait until all other treatment is complete.

Tomorrow is a visit with the radiation oncologist, and Thursday back to HCI to spend a good share of the day in a PET scan. The parking attendants at HCI, the staff at the front desk and the medical assistants of Clinic 3A all know me well. The "feeling" at HCI is a good one. It feels like a place for the most modern, up-to-date treatment, and for healing. There is a fabulous library with helpful librarians, a delicious bistro and cafeteria, beautifully displayed art work on the walls, and the view is spectacular! It is also very humbling to walk through the halls and realize there are many people within the HCI walls who are dealing with very difficult challenges! For so many years, work has been my "home away from home." But this week (and maybe more weeks to come), HCI has become my "home away from home." It is a little over one mile from my office, and I can easily walk to appointments if I want. How lucky I am to have such a great place within my own backyard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment