Chemo Infusion #1
Today was my first day of chemotherapy infusion. I must say - I have been pretty nervous about this day ever since the appointment was scheduled. But I am happy to report that it all went much better than I expected!
Blake and I started the morning at Huntsman Cancer Institute at 9:00am with lab work. This was the first access using Polly the Port - and I'm happy to report she performed perfectly! Then there was a visit from the plastic surgeon to assess the expander and put more fluid in the expander and drain off yet another 35 cc of fluid from redundant areas - SHEESH. After that, a final visit with the oncologist and NP to go over expectations, instructions, etc. And finally, a walk down to the Infusion Center to get hooked up to the mega drugs that are supposed to seek out and kill nasty cancer cells!
The whole day went very well - except for HCI's new computerized medical record system (just started a few days ago) - which made everyone, and everything . . . SLOWER! But it all worked out, and I was so relieved that the infusion went well, and I didn't feel bad AT ALL. (I hear that part will come in a few days.) In fact, Blake and I got some reading done, a little talking, I worked on email, and we had a nice lunch from HCI's Bistro. I hear the most likely symptoms will be nausea (which I am well-prepared for with a host of drugs) - and the almost-100%-guarantee that my hair will begin to fall out soon - UGH!
I had my hair cut short last night in preparation for the start of hair loss. I think it will help the "clean-up" and transition go better. I also found a couple of hats (with Blake's patient and understanding help) that I think will be ok. I've been kind of a stinker about the hat/scarf thing.
Lots to be grateful for today!
- everything went better than I expected
- it's a beautiful spring day - the hills are so green and the sun is shining
- it's a beautiful spring day - the hills are so green and the sun is shining
- the opportunity to celebrate mothers just a few days ago (I had one of the best ever - thanks, Mom!), and the opportunity to BE a mother (thanks Andy, Heather, and Greg for being patient with me)
- a wonderful, knowledgeable, supportive, patient husband - Blake is THE BEST and I know I am one very lucky girl!
- lots of great friends and family who are loving and supportive (more later about the amazing support from them at Susan G. Komen race last weekend)
- being able to go into this experience healthy and strong
- being able to go into this experience healthy and strong
I am truly blessed!
P.S. I apologize that this blog is not more "glamorous." I'm still getting the hang of it all. So pictures are a little ski-wan-pus. I promise it will get better!![]() |
| Mom and Dad and siblings - Janet, Darin, me, Angela, and Heidi - Christmas 2013 |
![]() |
| Laurie and Blake - Top of Snowbird Tram - Fall 2013 |
![]() |
| What a good-lookin' man! |
![]() |
| Greg, Andy and Heather - Thanks for making me a mom! |





This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love the pic with your kids! You are so beautiful my friend!
ReplyDelete