Monday, May 5, 2014

Meet Polly, the Power Port

Today is Monday - and I started the week with another procedure at HCI. I had a Power Port inserted just below my left clavicle. This is a quarter-sized device that is implanted under the skin with a catheter attached that goes down through the juggler vein. This provides easy access for blood draws and IV infusions. This port will come in very handy when I start IV chemo next week. I think this new port will be "close to my heart" and with me  for several months. It has become my new best friend - so I gave her a name: meet Polly! 

This procedure is done using a combination of drugs to provide a little more than moderate sedation, but less than general anesthesia. Apparently, today I felt compelled to provide music for the OR staff. After waking up, I remembered something about singing scales in the OR. Afterwards, I asked my surgeon, and he confirmed that yes, indeed, I provided music
for the OR team by humming throughout the procedure! He said it was ok though, because they didn't have any piped in music today - and I filled in nicely. How embarrassing! See what good drugs do for you? Really, it's just hard for us 2nd sopranos to BE QUIET! 

Things to be thankful for today:
- availability of power ports
- a cheerful, supportive husband who got up at 4:45am today to be with me - and then went to work
- excellent, skilled OR staff at HCI
- the gift of music, and a song in my heart :-)

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha! I love that you sang under anesthesia. Complete proof that music is in and through you! I'm glad things went well getting Polly put in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, you crack me up! But honestly, you probably made their day in the OR!! It's a rare treat to be serenaded (even if it is just humming) by a member of MoTab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Laurie, we Farnworth girls are our mother's daughters and we always have a song in our hearts whether that be 'Let Us All Press On' or 'Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel'. Whatever the song, I know that you will get through this with flying colors. Stay strong and sing a song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so funny! Once, when I got my stomach scoped, I told the hospital staff that I loved them all. Hang in there and keep on singin'.

    ReplyDelete