Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The "Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" of the Weekend

The GOOD parts of the weekend: 
  • The Carl Bloch art exhibit at BYU's Museum of Fine Art - so incredible, and so inspiring! Imagine gazing upon this qualify of amazing art work - most of it all the way from Denmark! This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
  • The first time since her funeral visiting my mom's gravesite with Blake and my dad. It was a beautiful, clear morning - the perfect setting to look out across Utah Valley from the base of Mt Timpanogos - just what my mom would have loved! 
  • Visiting with Heather and family in Logan. It was fun to see all the kids again, to enjoy a delicious barbecue on their new patio, and to watch a fun softball practice game with Blake, Heather, Jared, Em, and Josh. 

The BAD part of the weekend: 
  • The mastectomy-expander infection site remains angry and red - even after 9 doses of Vancomycin (one of the "big guns" of antibiotics). How could that be? I am glad that I feel somewhat better, but I don't feel great, and I'm a little worried. I have until Thursday to get better. If no improvement, serious consideration for removing the expander - UGH! 
The UGLY part of the weekend: 
  • As I woke up Sunday morning, I ran my fingers through my hair and came back with significant CLUMPS of hair in my hand. Yes, the great "fall-out" had begun - and soon my hair was everywhere! By Monday evening I had more scalp visible than hair. I asked Blake to shave the rest of it this morning - indeed, an act of love on his part! Well, it's not like I didn't know it would happen. Somehow, in the back recesses of my mind, I sort of thought I might be "exempt" from this part of chemo. Guess not. Oh well, I'm okay with it. The "ugly" part isn't the fact that my hair fell out - it's the look of my bare scalp. Thank goodness for lots of options to cover a bare head. I'll be ok - I know it will grow back. I hear it may grow back different, though. I'm hoping for purple and spiky! 

9 comments:

  1. oh laurie. you seem to still have such a good attitude with all you are going through. loves to you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok Laurie, now I realize what's going on. I am so sorry you're going through this. Its not fair. But then again you have been through tough things before. God bless you.! Jeanie and I will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm crying over your hair falling out! :( When my mom lost hers, I really strongly considered shaving mine in support of her, but I could not bring myself to do it. As much as it seems to be a not-so-important thing, it feels so huge! I am sorry! I wish you could be exempt from it, too. To all of us I am sure it will just look fresh, perky, and cute. I'm excited to see your hats and scarves! We are praying that your infection will clear up. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Laurie, dear friend. Hang in there!! Sending all our love, hope, support, strength, prayers your way. Praying that you will kick that infection. You are beautiful with or without hair:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey my friend! I can help with the purple spiky thing! Soon, very soon! Keep your smile on and soon this will just be a memory. Angels wit ya and know that many, many prayers are sent Heavenward in your behalf!! Bob n I send our love n hugs. Casey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie, we are all praying for you!! We all love you sooo much!! I put your name on the prayer roll in the Gilbert temple. We will see you in a few weeks--can't wait to hug you! ��Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you are fighting an infection! A lot of things are happening at once, but soon things will improve. Can't wait to come up and see you guys. Todd

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cemetery picture! You both look so great. I'm so glad you and Blake came up. It was a good day! So glad you're my mom and friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If anyone can rock a bald head and still look smokin hot, it's YOU! xoxox

    ReplyDelete